Sunny Creek Vegan Butternut Bisque
This classic, cozy soup just got an upgrade with this vegan-friendly bisque recipe. The wholesome, hearty, garden flavors of our butternut squash, yellow onion, celery, carrot, and garlic combine with vegan butter to create a smooth, creamy soup. A balance of savory and sweet is struck with sage, nutmeg, and maple syrup. All the flavors come together when you serve up a bowl with roasted pepitas, a dollop of vegan sour cream, and our fresh broccoli sprouts.
- 1 (3 lb.) Sunny Creek Farms Butternut Squash
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion, chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 Cup Celery, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp. Maple Syrup
- 1/8 tsp. Sage
- 1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tbsp. Vegan Butter
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 4 Tbsp. Vegan Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. Roasted Pepitas
- 4 Tbsp. Sunny Creek Farms Broccoli Sprouts
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Slice squash vertically down the center, scoop out the seeds, and place the halves cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the outside skin of the squash and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes (or until almost tender). Remove and allow squash to cool.
- Peel the skin off and cut squash into 2-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Next, in a large stock pot, heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic, onions, celery, and carrots for 3-4 minutes, or until slightly brown, adding a pinch of salt as they cook. Stir in sage and nutmeg and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add stock, maple syrup, vegan butter, and squash. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes (or until the squash is very tender).
- Puree soup in batches in a regular blender or food processor, adding additional stock slowly until the soup reaches the desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a dollop of yogurt, pepitas, and sprouts.